Wednesday, October 28, 2009

The first of a new set of dreams

Alright, for those of you who don't know, the title Dreaming Out Loud is a line from a song by Switchfoot from their Nothing is Sound CD. I enjoy the line because of its imagery and being able to turn dreams into reality.

Moving right along. My first time having an official blog, and there's a part of me that wants to make it special, but also very real. I was sitting in my Christian World View class last Thursday and had the entirety of my own world view shatter. The phrase? Not everything happens for a reason.

In complete contrast to my own world view "Everything happens for a reason," you can imagine how upset I was by this statement. I honestly wanted to throw my book in class but was stopped by another statement. "If everything happened for a reason, and God states that He is against murder, then God might as well be Freddy Crouger." I'll let you think about that for a second before you move on.

I began to think. Like truly sit down and think. I want so badly for this world to act with feeling, with purpose. Many times, however, I see people wasting time making themselves miserable or worse, wasting the precious life that has been given to them. I thought about how much more I don't want my life to be a waste of time/a missed opportunity to make a difference.

So what did I do? I signed up for a missions trip to India and told a few people about my dream to create the first Christian B.F.A. program for theater students. To do this I must, and I stress must, get an M.F.A. in Lighting Design. No doubt about it. I need to work hard while still keeping my faith in an industry that generally frowns upon my faith. But that's the whole point of a B.F.A. program in theater, incorporating faith while doing what you love to do. I'm going to make this happen one day, I am sure. Call this post a self-fulfilling prophecy because 20 years from now, it will be true.

Just JDR

1 comment:

  1. Very nice.

    ...guess I'll be keeping my title just the way it is then. ;)

    ReplyDelete